Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Skating at the Farmer's Market-Annapolis

From the Annapolis Royal Heritage blog:

Annapolis Royal Heritage
Exploring heritage in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Skating at the Farmer's Market

Since yesterday's post was about fire, I figured that today's should head toward the other extreme. I am not sure how much further I can go in the other direction than ice. Over the past few weeks I have been watching the progress of the new outdoor skating rink at the Annapolis Royal Farmer's market. While there have been previous rinks built in this location there has not been one since I have lived here. Since I enjoy skating I was thrilled to see the framework of the rink installed in November. Each day as I drive or walk past the market I have watched the posted sign to see if the rink was ready to accept skaters. So far the weather has not been consistently cold enough. I was quite happy when I saw Grant Potter, the Recreation Director for the Town of Annapolis Royal, walking up the street with a sign featuring a large green skate.

After dinner my five year old and I grabbed our skates and made our way to the Farmer's Market. The ice was as nice as any outdoor ice I have ever skated on. With the exception of a few minor bumps in the corners it was a perfectly smooth sheet. The market stalls even provided some protection from the wind. After an hour or so on the ice, a cup of hot chocolate from the pub (the building in the top image) topped off the evening.

At some point over the next few weeks I will try to make a post about some of the historic skating facilities that we have had in Annapolis Royal. I may also try to make a post about some of the historic uses of the area currently being used as a skating rink.

All for now,
RGS

No comments: